POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : CSGs and UDO/INC? : Re: CSGs and UDO/INC? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:27:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSGs and UDO/INC?
From: Alex Magidow
Date: 27 Sep 1998 12:15:44
Message: <360E572D.2CB49ACC@mninter.net>
Johannes Hubert wrote:

> Alex Magidow wrote in message <360D7220.D5B69DF6@mninter.net>...
> >Is there a reason that CSG differences do not work with UDO/INC pairs?
> >If so, what is it?Is there a list of rules concerning UDO/INC files
> >anywhere?(Possibly the VFAQ?)
> >

> I see no reason why it shouldn't work. In fact: I just tested it and it
> worked find: I made a CSG with a box and a UDO to test it, setting the
> difference both ways: box minus UDO and UDO minus box. Both worked fine.

I only tried a UDO minus a box, but it did some weird stuff. First, I noticed
that when I make a normal difference CSG, with primitives, it cuts away the
shape of one of the primitives, leaving a big hole. The interior of the hole
is the texture of the primitive that was cut out. When I tried the same thing
with the csg, it didn't retain the texture or the cut out shape. In fact,
cutting a rectangular part out of one side of the UDO cut out a huge section
of the other side of the UDO(This is NOT a wetware problem!) Why does this
happen? If anyone is interested in screwing around with the source and trying
to get this to work, please let me know and I'll send it to you.

P.S. I am begining to think the UDO is hollow. But that still doesn't account
for all these problems.

Thanks in adavance for your help.